- A.B. Religion, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1962
- B.S. Biology, Virginia Commonwealth University, VA, USA, 1972
- M.A. Drama, University of Virginia, VA, USA, 1969
- Ph.D. Marine Science, College of William & Mary,
- Virginia Institute of Marine Science, VA, USA, 1986
Dr. Hayward joined Mote Marine Laboratory (MML) in 1990. He is MML's Director of Information Systems, responsible for design, installation and maintenance of the laboratory information systems network and the laboratory Geographic Information Systems (GIS) facility. While at MML he has participated in ecological and water quality analysis and modeling of estuarine and coastal marine systems. He obtained experience in data management and analysis, software development, and interfacing analytical instruments with computers and also participated in over twenty-five oceanographic cruises in the Lower Chesapeake Bay and Middle Atlantic Bight continental shelf region, working with the EPA Chesapeake Bay Nutrient Dynamics Study, NSF funded projects investigating microplankton dynamics and the Bureau of Land Management Benchmark study while at VIMS. Dr. Hayward has broad systems engineering experience with a variety of computer hardware and operating systems including IBM mainframes, Sun workstation networks and Intel compatible (Linux, Windows and DOS) workstations and networks.